Theatre in Other Forms: "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend"

Theatre is just theatre, except when it's not. What? That's right, theatre isn't just on Broadway - it's on our TV screens, too.
"Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" on the CW is my favorite TV show and honestly one of the funniest shows currently airing (the other funniest show is NBC's "The Good Place"). But what is it? It's a dark comedy/musical show. Isn't that great? A musical, on my TV, every week. I love it! It's so funny, and so twisted. It chronicles Rebecca Bunch's (Rachel Bloom, whose Youtube channel alone is hysterical, but pretty NSFW, so be careful!) journey with mental illness after she uproots her big city life to move to California to chase after the man of her dreams, Josh Chan (but she didn't move here for Josh).

The show also features a great cast of singing talent, including Broadway stars such as Tovah Feldshuh, Patti LuPone, Santino Fontana, Lea Salonga, Josh Groban and more.

The songs are hilarious, written by Bloom herself alongside Jack Dolsen and Adam Schlesinger. My personal favorites include "Let's Generalize About Men", "I Go to the Zoo" (but the explicit version specifically), "Settle for Me", "You Stupid Bitch", "Ping Pong Girl" and "Dream Ghost", but so many are incredible.

Now, just because the show is a musical doesn't mean you can only enjoy it if you like musicals. I got my boyfriend into it, and he is nowhere near as into theatre as I am. He even complained about the songs at first, saying that he wished the show was just the plot, because of how funny it is. But as we've watched more together, he's realized how important the music is to the plot. And it makes everything funnier!

I don't want to give away too much of the plot, because it really needs to be experienced firsthand. Just watch it, it's amazing.

The first two seasons are on Netflix, and the third just finished airing, so I expect to see it up there soon. The CW hasn't officially renewed it for a fourth season, but I'm hopeful. Watch it if you haven't. If you have, time for a rewatch - I just started my third time through the show!

What do you guys think? Have you watched this? Do you think it's amazing? Or did it fall flat? Let me know in the comments!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Plea to All Ushers

How to See a Broadway Show Without Leaving New Jersey

Why Everyone Should Listen to The Prom