Why Everyone Should Listen to The Prom

Hi. Have you listened to The Prom yet? That's ok if you haven't. Just go listen to it first and then come back here. It's on Spotify. It's even better if you have! Go put it on anyway. Don't worry, I'll wait.
Now, at this point, you may have figured out that I am a bit of a theatre fan. It's true. I love listening to so many musicals. Yet very rarely there comes along a musical that is so incredible that I want to completely submerge myself into it. I listen to it nonstop, I read all the information about it, I watch cast videos on Youtube, and, of course, I beg everyone around me to go with me to see it. I think the last musical that I felt this way about was...Fun Home, in 2015.
Then I listened to The Prom.
This musical is amazing. It's loosely based on a real story of a prom being canceled because a teenage girl wanted to bring her girlfriend as her date. But in this version, a group of aging Broadway stars come from NYC all the way to Indiana to save the day.
Doesn't it sound AMAZING?
It is. It really is. It is so good. The music is great. It's hilarious. Seriously, the cast album alone makes me laugh out loud. And it has SO much heart. It is probably one of the best musicals I have listened to in a while. Beth Leavel is everything. Christopher Sieber is always so funny (I saw him in Pippin, but perhaps you remember him as Mary-Kate and Ashley's dad on "Two of a Kind"). And Caitlin Kinnunen, who I remember from being a MASSIVE Spring Awakening fan in high school, is so sweet as Emma, and it makes me so happy to see her getting the success she deserves.
This show is so important. Think about it. How many musicals center around lesbians? How many get happy endings? HOW MANY HAVE BROOKS ASHMANSKAS SINGING ABOUT GOING TO THE PROM FOR THE FIRST TIME?
I don't want to say to much. You have to experience it for yourself. Just...go listen to it. You can find it everywhere. Heck, go buy tickets. Just one request if you do, though - take me with you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Plea to All Ushers

How to See a Broadway Show Without Leaving New Jersey